(Red Tussock Grass) Native to New Zealand this is a large evergreen grass with bronze-red summer leaves turning coppery in colour over winter.
Native to New Zealand, Chionochloa rubra is a large evergreen grass with olive green to bronze-red summer leaves turning coppery in colour over winter. Excellent as a foil for other nearby plants.
Best foliage display if planted in a position with sun or light, dappled shade with good drainage.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Most, well drained fertile soil. Avoid very wet areas.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Chionochloa rubra grows to be a medium sized to large clump forming grass.
- Height: up to 120 cm (4 ft)
- Spread: 100 - 120 cm (3 - 4 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Grass - Large (2m+), Grass - Medium (1m - 2m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid
- Special Features
- Suitable for Containers, Foliage - Purple/Red