Chaenomeles x 'Toyo-Nishiki'
(Flowering Quince) An exciting and unusual Japanese shrub, Chaenomeles x 'Toyo-Nishiki' has both lovely white and pale pink flowers in spring all on the same plant.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An exciting and unusual Japanese shrub, Chaenomeles x 'Toyo-Nishiki' has both lovely white and pale pink flowers in spring all on the same plant. Chaenomeles are prized in Japan for its fine flowers, the jam making quality of the fruits and for use as a bonsai.
The leaves are dark green and when not in flower this plant makes a good backdrop for smaller flowering plants.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Fertile, well-drained soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: March - April.
- Flower Colour: White flushed pink
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Chaenomeles x 'Toyo-Nishiki' grows to be a medium sized or eventually large densely branching, rounded shrub.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft) // [up to 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years]
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft) // [up to 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years]
- Notes: Chaenomeles x 'Toyo-Nishiki' has some thorns and therefore it can also be planted to create a very effective barrier.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m), Shrub - Large (3m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Alkaline
- Special Features
- Flowers in Spring, Suitable for Containers, Honey Fungus Resistant, Wildlife Friendly - Bees, Rare and Unusual