Chaenomeles x 'Toyo-Nishiki'
(Flowering Quince) An exciting and unusual Japanese shrub, Chaenomeles x 'Toyo-Nishiki' has both lovely white and pale pink flowers in spring all on the same plant.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An exciting and unusual Japanese shrub, Chaenomeles x 'Toyo-Nishiki' has both lovely white and pale pink flowers in spring all on the same plant. Chaenomeles are prized in Japan for its fine flowers, the jam making quality of the fruits and for use as a bonsai.
The leaves are dark green and when not in flower this plant makes a good backdrop for smaller flowering plants.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Fertile, well-drained soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: March - April.
- Flower Colour: White flushed pink
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Chaenomeles x 'Toyo-Nishiki' grows to be a medium sized or eventually large densely branching, rounded shrub.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft) // [up to 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years]
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft) // [up to 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years]
- Notes: Chaenomeles x 'Toyo-Nishiki' has some thorns and therefore it can also be planted to create a very effective barrier.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Spring (March - May), To grow in a pot, Honey Fungus Resistant, Good for Wildlife (Insects including bees & butterflies)
- On sale!