Callicarpa bodinieri 'Profusion'
(Beauty Berry) A popular deciduous shrub which has clusters of pink flowers in summer, followed by masses of metallic-purple berries in autumn.
Hardy and reliable, best autumn berry display will usually be seen when planted in a position with plenty of sun. Can be grown in a large container.
A popular shrub which is native to China, Callicarpa bodinieri var giraldii 'Profusion' has clusters of pink flowers, followed by masses of metallic-purple berries in autumn.
The young leaves are an attractive bronze and purple when young, turning pale green in the summer and developing purple / bronze tints in autumn before falling. The combination of the foliage and vibrant berries makes this an excellent plant for a use in flower arranging.
- Position: Sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Callicarpa will establish itself better in a warm garden with a little shelter from strong winds.
- Flowering Period: July.
- Flower Colour: Pale pink
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Callicarpa bodinieri var. giraldii 'Profusion' grows to be a medium sized, branching shrub.
- Height: up to 2 - 2.5 m (6 - 8 ft)
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft)
- Pruning: Prune to shape in early spring if required. Callicarpa bodinieri var. giraldii 'Profusion' is a self fertile form, but it will produce more berries if planted in small groups of several plants.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m)
- Growing Conditions
- Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Fruit - Ornamental, Honey Fungus Resistant