Betula utilis 'Silver Shadow'
(Himalayan Birch) A beautiful, slow growing birch Betula utilis 'Silver Shadow' develops pure white bark once established. This plant is very difficult to propagate and rarely available, the closest similar birch is Betula utilis 'Grayswood Ghost'.
(delivered in 3-4 working days, Free for orders over £125*)
(delivered in 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A fantastic small, silver-barked tree, the genuine selection 'Silver Shadow' is rare in cultivation as it is notoriously difficult to propagate. Once it has grown past this tricky phase however it is as easy to grow as any other Betula utilis and it has two distinct attributes.
Betula utilis 'Silver Shadow' has perhaps the finest and most unblemished white bark of any Birch we have seen and grows to be a smaller and more dainty tree than the other silver barked birches listed on our website. A disadvantage to this tree is that the dazzling white bark doesn't appear on very young plants as it can take four or five years to start to develop.
The relatively small size makes this selection suitable for gardens with limited space, especially if grown as a multi-stemmed specimen.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate
- Habit: Betula utilis var. jacquemonti 'Silver Shadow' grows to be a small tree with a slender habit.
- Height: up to 10 m (32 ft)
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft)
- Notes: For best effect, the bark should be scrubbed gently with a hand brush and water once a year. This removes any green algae or grime and helps to restore the colour.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Site: Windy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Dry/Sandy
- Special Features
- Ornamental Bark