Berberis thunbergii 'Chocolate Summer'
(Barberry) New to us, this is a deciduous small or eventually medium sized, upright shrub with beautiful dark chocolate-brown summer leaves and vibrant orange to purple-red autumn colour.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
New to us, Berberis thunbergii 'Chocolate Summer' is a small or eventually medium sized, compact upright shrub with beautiful dark chocolate-brown summer leaves.. Dainty yellow flowers appear on the branches in spring. The stems are dark brown-red in colour and the leaves turn vivid shades of purple and orange before falling autumn. Established plants develop clusters of small yellow flowers in early summer.
Best foliage display if planted in a position with plenty of sun. May be grown in a large container and makes an unusual low informal hedge if planted in numbers.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: March - April.
- Flower Colour: Yellow
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Berberis thunbergii 'Summer Sunset' grows to be a compact, small, rounded shrub.
- Height: 100 - 120 cm (3 - 4 ft)
- Spread: 60 cm (2 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Small (less than 1.5m), Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Alkaline, Site: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Suitable for Containers, Foliage - Purple/Red, Screening/Hedge