Berberis thunbergii 'Red Pillar'
(Barberry) A handsome upright shrub, Berberis thunbergii 'Red Pillar' has a narrow, columnar habit when young with dark purple summer leaves and good red autumn tints before falling in October.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 16 - 20 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A handsome upright shrub, Berberis thunbergii 'Red Pillar' has a narrow, columnar habit when young with dark purple summer leaves and good red autumn tints before falling in October. Established plants spread a little if not pruned and gradually form a more vase-shaped habit.
The upright shape makes Berberis thunbergii 'Red Pillar' a good choice for formal planting and a distinctive garden shrub!
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: March - April.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Small or eventually medium sized, narrow sized shrub.
- Height: up to 1 - 1.5 m (3 - 5 ft)
- Spread: 0.3 - 0.6 m (1 - 2 ft)
- Pruning: Prune Berberis thunbergii 'Red Pillar' to shape in late autumn or winter if required.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Small (less than 5 ft tall), Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Special: Windy & Exposed
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, Habit - Narrow
You might also like