Aronia arbutifolia 'Brilliant'
(Red Chokeberry) A branching shrub native to eastern North America, Aronia arbutifolia 'Brilliant' has clusters of white flowers in late spring or early summer followed by bright red fruit later in the year. 0
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A branching shrub native to eastern North America, Aronia arbutifolia 'Brilliant'has clusters of white flowers in late spring or early summer followed by bright red fruit later in the year. Despite the common name of 'Chokeberry' the berries are edible and can be used for cooking or making jams, but the fruit itself is astringent, bitter and should be fully ripe before eating.
Aronia arbutifolia is also well known for its autumn colour with the green summer leaves turning handsome shades of red and orange in the autumn before falling. Looks very good when planted in groups!
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Most fertile soils including damp but not waterlogged areas. Aronia arbutifolia dislikes shallow, chalky soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Aronia arbutifolia grows to be a medium sized branching shrub.
- Height: up to 2 - 2.5 m (6 - 8 ft)
- Spread: 1.5 - 2 m (5 - 6 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Fruit - Edible, Screening/Hedge, Flowers in Summer, Fruit - Ornamental, Autumn Colour, Wildlife Friendly - Birds