Aronia prunifolia 'Viking'
(Chokeberry) A deciduous shrub, Aronia prunifolia 'Viking' has oval, shiny green leaves that turn a superb rich-orange and deep-red in autumn. In spring it produces has small spikes of white, hawthorn-like flowers.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
A deciduous shrub, Aronia prunifolia 'Viking' has oval, shiny green leaves that turn a superb rich-orange and deep-red in autumn. In spring it produces has small spikes of white, hawthorn-like flowers. These flowers are followed in autumn by clusters of purple/black fruit that are edible and similar in appearance to blackcurrants, with a high vitamin C content.
A hardy, reliable and unusual garden plant with lots of interest through the year. Aronia prunifolia 'Viking' can also be grown in a large container if required.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist or well drained, fertile soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Aronia prunifolia 'Viking' grows to be a medium sized, rounded shrub.
- Height: up to 2 - 3 m (6 - 10 ft) if left unpruned
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Windy & Exposed
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Flowering Season - Spring (March - May), Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Fruit - Ornamental, Good for Wildlife (Birds), Screening/Hedge
You might also like