Arbutus unedo 'Compacta'
(Dwarf Strawberry Tree) Smaller than the other strawberry trees listed here, Arbutus unedo 'Compacta' is an attractive evergreen shrub with masses of creamy white flowers in late summer or early autumn.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Smaller than the other strawberry trees listed here, Arbutus unedo 'Compacta' is an attractive evergreen shrub with masses of creamy white flowers in late summer or early autumn. The flowers are followed by red, edible, strawberry-like fruit. These fruit can take up to a year to ripen. The flowers are very popular with insects and in particular, butterflies.
When established, Arbutus unedo 'Compacta' will develop a fantastic, peeling, mahogany coloured bark. Slow growing and not for instant gratification!
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any well drained, fertile soil. Arbutus unedo 'Compacta' is reasonably tolerant of chalky soils but will grow better in slightly acidic conditions.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hard & wind tolerant in coastal areas but prefers some shelter in cold gardens.
- Flowering Period: September - November.
- Flower Colour: Creamy white
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Medium sized or eventually large rounded, densely branching shrub.
- Height: up to 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Notes: Arbutus unedo 'Compacta' is reasonably tolerant of atmospheric pollution and a good choice for urban gardens.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Autumn (September - November), Fruit - Ornamental, Good for Wildlife (Insects including bees & butterflies), To grow in a pot
- On sale!