Aesculus pavia 'Splendens'
(Scarlet Buckeye) Perhaps the most handsome of the flowering Buckeyes, this is an unusual plant which has impressive, long (10 - 20 cm) panicles of scarlet flowers in late spring / early summer.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Perhaps the most handsome of the flowering Buckeyes, this is an unusual plant which has impressive, long (10 - 20 cm) panicles of scarlet flowers in late spring / early summer. The vivid flower colour contrasts well against the dark green foliage.
A spectacular flowering Aesculus which is shrub-like when young eventually forming a very small rounded, branching tree.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any well drained, fertile soil. Aesculus pavia 'Splendens' is tolerant of dry soil conditions.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: Scarlet
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Aesculus pavia 'Splendens' grows to be a large, branching, rounded shrub.
- Height: 5 m (16 ft)
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft)
- Notes: We have a specimen of Aesculus pavia 'Splendens', planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery. It is 12 years old, has reached a height of 3 m, a spread of 2 m.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August)