(Paperbark Maple) Acer griseum is one of the most handsome garden trees available with gorgeous, peeling cinnamon coloured bark once established and fiery red and orange autumn colours.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Of all the small trees in cultivation, this maple stands supreme with gorgeous, peeling cinnamon coloured bark and fiery red and orange autumn colours. The autumn colour and peeling bark gives Acer griseum year round interest and as it is slow growing, makes it an ideal small specimen tree for gardens with limited space.
Acer griseum was introduced to the United Kingdom from China in 1901 and is very hardy although it does grow better with shelter from strong winds. Unlike most Japanese maples, Acer griseum will also grow on an alkaline soil or even on chalk.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any alkaline to slightly acid, fertile soil. Acer griseum will tolerate chalky soils
- Hardiness: Hardy. Acer griseum requires shelter from cold winter winds where possible.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Acer griseum grows to be a small, branching tree.
- Height: 10 m (32 ft) / up to 3 m (10 ft) after 10 years
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft) / up to 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems