Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'
Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' is a handsome maple growing to be a large shrub or eventually very small tree with dark purple-red summer leaves and scarlet autumn colour.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
(Japanese Maple) A popular maple, Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' is a large shrub or eventually a small tree with deeply-cut, dark purple leaves which turn a vivid shades of red and scarlet in the autumn before falling. The best autumn colour display will be seen if this maple is planted in a position sheltered from strong winds.
The summer leaves and autumn colour is very eye-catching and makes Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' a superb addition to a nearly any garden and it can also be grown in a container if required.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' will produce stronger autumn colours in a slightly acid soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' requires shelter from strong winter winds.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: An elegant large, reasonably upright, branching shrub or in time, very small tree.
- Height: up to 5 m (16 ft) / [up to 3 m (10 ft) after 10 years]
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft) / [up to 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years]
- Notes: This plant is an improved selection of Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum'
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, To grow in a pot
You might also like