Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'
(Golden-leaved Japanese Maple) This outstanding maple has eye-catching soft golden-yellow leaves with hanging, coral red flowers in spring.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
This outstanding maple has eye-catching soft golden-yellow leaves with hanging, coral red flowers in spring. In autumn the leaves turn to beautiful shades of pink and orange. The leaves are also delightful in spring as they emerge when they are said to glow with colour.
This is an excellent standalone plant for nearly any garden and can also be grown in a large container or pot (if well looked after). Not for instant gratification as usually very slow growing!
- Position: Partial or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. In our experience, the autumn colour will be more vivid when planted on acidic soils. This plant benefits from a high organic content in the soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' will grow best when planted in an area sheltered from strong winds.
- Rate of Growth: Very slow.
- Habit: Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' grows to be a medium sized or eventually large branching shrub in many years.
- up to 5 m (16 ft) / or up to 1.5 - 2 m (5 - 6 ft) after 10 years
- 5 m (16 ft) / or up to 1.5 m (5 ft) after 10 years
- Notes: Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' is most suitable for position in partial shade as it needs some sunshine to colour the foliage but can scorch in the middle of summer if in full sun.
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m), Shrub - Large (3m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Suitable for Containers, Foliage - Gold/Yellow