A rare, graceful small tree native to parts of Central and Western China, Tetracentron sinense is similar in appearance to a Cercidiphyllum (Katsura Tree) with alternate, elongated, heart shaped leaves.
Supplied Size: 3 or 4L pots (40 - 60 cm tall) - this plant is not for instant gratification and recommended for experienced gardeners only.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
A rare, graceful small tree native to parts of Central and Western China, Tetracentron sinense is similar in appearance to a Cercidiphyllum (Katsura Tree) with alternate, elongated, heart shaped leaves. These leaves are dark green in summer, turning shades of orange and red before falling in autumn.
Established specimens of Tetracentron sinense have catkin-like, yellow flower clusters in the summer.
Tetracentron sinense is a very lovely small tree, best suited to a position in light, dappled shade with some shelter from strong winds. It may require protection from late spring frost in cold areas and would not enjoy a windy, exposed position.
- Position: Sheltered area from the wind in sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist but well drained, neutral or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy but Tetracentron sinense requires shelter from strong winds and protection from late frosts when young.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Tetracentron sinense will grow to be a large shrub in the short term or eventually a very small spreading tree.
- Height: 4 - 5 m (16 - 20 ft) / [up to 2 - 2.5 m (6 - 8 ft) in ten years] - size based on expected growth rate here in South Derbyshire, UK.
- Spread: 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft) / [2.5m (8 ft) in ten years]
- Notes: Please be aware that although hardy, Tetracentron sinense can be a fickle and difficult plant in a very wet winter if waterlogged, if caught by late frost or if planted in a poor exposed position. As such, it is not covered by our guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour
You might also like