Liquidambar styraciflua 'Stared'
(Sweet Gum) A fascinating and colourful selection of Liquidambar, which has deeply cut, star-shaped leaves that turn fabulous shades of scarlet and deep red.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
(Sweet Gum) A fascinating and colourful selection of Liquidambar, which has deeply cut, star-shaped leaves that turn fabulous shades of scarlet and deep red. The unusual leaves make this cultivar distinct, with foliage interest in the spring and summer as well as glorious autumn colour.
Supplied Size: 4L or 5L pots (80 - 100 cm tall) - very limited availability this year
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Stared' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Liquidambar styraciflua 'Stared' grows to be a medium sized or eventually a large, branching tree.
- Height: 18 m (60 ft).
- Spread: 12 m (40 ft).
- Notes: The above height and spread is a good estimate for the Midlands. In the south of the U.K., this may grow to be a slightly larger trees and in the north of the U.K., slightly smaller. This plant is also known as Liquidambar styraciflua 'Star Red'.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall), Tree - Large (over 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour
You might also like