(Chilean Myrtle ) Native to the central Andes mountains in South America, Luma apiculata is a striking large, evergreen shrub with attractive bark and pretty white flowers in late summer.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
Native to the central Andes mountains in South America, Luma apiculata is a striking large, evergreen shrub with attractive bark and pretty white flowers in late summer. The leaves are dark, glossy green and peeling, deep red and white-grey bark develops on established plants giving year round interest!
Luma apiculata is best planted in a warm position in sun or light shade, with plenty of shelter from cold winter winds.
- Position: Warm in full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Most fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Not hardy. Luma apiculata requires a warm, sheltered position, protected from cold winter winds and protection from hard frost. If grown in a container, this plant can be successfully over wintered in a glasshouse or conservatory.
- Flowering Period: July - September.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Luma apiculata grows to be a medium sized or eventually large branching shrub.
- Height: 4 m (13 ft) / or up to 2 - 2.5 m (6 - 8 ft) after 10 years
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft) / or up to 2 m (6 ft) after 10 years
- Notes: This plant is also known as Myrtus luma or Myrtus apiculatus. Unless you have a very warm garden, Luma apiculata usually grows best in southern areas of the U.K., in particularly Devon and Cornwall.
- Important: Please be aware that Luma apiculata can be a fickle and difficult plant in the winter or if planted in a poor position. As such, it is not covered by our normal guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems, To grow in a pot
You might also like