Liquidambar styraciflua 'Burgundy'
(Sweet Gum) This rare tree has a display of autumn colour much later in the year than the other Liquidambar and retains its lovely red, orange and yellow leaves much longer.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
(Sweet Gum) This rare tree has a display of autumn colour much later in the year than the other Liquidambar and retains its lovely red, orange and yellow leaves much longer. In the absence of particularly hard frosts or fierce storms, a semi-mature Liquidambar styraciflua 'Burgundy' in our own gardens will sometimes hold its leaves until Christmas or beyond .
Liquidambar styraciflua 'Burgundy' is a beautiful tree and an excellent choice for long lasting autumn colour!
Supplied Size: 4L / 5L pots (60 - 80 cm tall)
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Burgundy' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Medium sized or eventually a large, branching tree.
- Height: 18 m (60 ft).
- Spread: 12 m (40 ft).
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall), Tree - Large (over 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour
You might also like