Rhamnus frangula 'Asplenifolia'
(Fine-leaved Alder Buckthorn) A fantastic foliage plant, Rhamnus frangula 'Asplenifolia' has very fine leaves, similar in appearance to some of the more dainty Acer palmatum (Japanese Maple) cultivars from a distance.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
A fantastic foliage plant, Rhamnus frangula 'Asplenifolia' has very fine leaves, similar in appearance to some of the more dainty Acer palmatum (Japanese Maple) cultivars from a distance. These are a bright green in spring and summer before turning a lovely bronze-yellow in autumn before falling.
In winter once the leaves have fallen the attractive, pale-grey bark with its very conspicuous lenticels can be easily seen. An unusual and highly ornamental selection of our native alder buckthorn which also acts as a host plant for brimstone butterflies.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Will tolerate damp (but not waterlogged) soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Medium or eventually large branching shrub.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft).
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft).
- Notes: Rhamnus frangula 'Asplenifolia' is an excellent plant for attracting wildlife into a garden.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Fruit - Ornamental, Good for Wildlife (Insects including bees & butterflies), Honey Fungus Resistant, To grow in a pot
You might also like