Luma apiculata 'Glanleam Gold'
(Variegated Myrtle) Unusual, evergreen aromatic shrub which has dark green leaves with attractive golden edges and clusters of pretty white flowers in summer.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
Unusual, evergreen aromatic shrub which has dark green leaves with attractive golden edges and clusters of pretty white flowers in summer. Luma apiculata 'Glanleam Gold' is a handsome yet slow growing shrub, the original plant at Glanleam, on the west coast of Ireland, is only 2 - 3 m tall after many years growth.
Luma apiculata 'Glanleam Gold' is best planted in a warm position in sun or light shade, with plenty of shelter from cold winter winds.
- Position: Warm in full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Most fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Not hardy. Luma apiculata 'Glanleam Gold' requires a warm, sheltered position, protected from cold winter winds and protection from hard frost. If grown in a container, this plant can be successfully over wintered in a glasshouse or conservatory.
- Flowering Period: July - September.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Luma apiculata 'Glanleam Gold' will grow to be a branching medium sized shrub in time, possibly larger in very mild areas.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft) / or up to 1.5 - 2 m (5 - 6 ft) after 10 years
- Spread: 2 - 2.5 m (6 - 8 ft) / or up to 1.5 m (5 ft) after 10 years
- Notes: This plant is also known as Myrtus luma 'Glanleam Gold' or Myrtus apiculatus 'Glanleam Gold'. Unless you have a very warm garden, Luma apiculata 'Glanleam Gold' usually grows best in southern areas of the U.K., in particularly Devon and Cornwall.
- Important: Please be aware that Luma apiculata 'Glanleam Gold' can be a fickle and difficult plant in the winter or if planted in a poor position. As such, it is not covered by our normal guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Leaf Colour - Variegated, Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems, To grow in a pot
You might also like