Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty'
(Black Elder) A superb cultivar, Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' has rich purple-black foliage and flattened umbels (clusters) of deep pink flowers in midsummer, followed by masses of small black fruit which are popular with birds and wildlife.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
A superb cultivar, Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' has rich purple-black foliage and flattened umbels (clusters) of deep pink flowers in midsummer, followed by masses of small black fruit. The berries are popular with birds and wildlife.
A spectacular and easy to grow foliage plant with best leaf colour if planted in a sunny spot!
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: Deep pink
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Large branching shrub with an upright, rounded habit.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Notes: Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' can be pruned back hard if required.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Windy & Exposed
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Good for Wildlife (Insects including bees & butterflies), Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, Honey Fungus Resistant
You might also like