(Dune Willow) Originally a native of Western North America where the flexible stems were used in basket making, Salix hookeriana has in our opinion the best silvery-white, pussy willows in early spring and attractive silvery leaves.
Supplied Size: 3L pot (30 - 40 cm tall)
(Surcharges apply for Highlands & Islands. Click for delivery info)
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
Originally a native of Western North America where the flexible stems were used in basket making, Salix hookeriana has in our opinion the best silvery-white, pussy willows in early spring and attractive silvery leaves. An ideal choice of willow for planting in a coastal area and very useful for stabilize slopes in marine environments.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist soil. Salix hookeriana is tolerant of saline soils and dislikes shallow, chalky soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Small branching tree with a rounded habit if left unpruned.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft)
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft)
- Notes: Salix hookeriana makes an effective garden plant if pruned back to 30 cm (1 ft) above the ground each spring before coming into leaf. This encourages it to produce vigorous arching stems and an excellent display of catkins.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Windy & Exposed, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Catkins, Leaf Colour - Blue/Silver
You might also like