(Alder Buckthorn) One of the few plants in our garden on which we are delighted to find caterpillars since it is the most important host plant to the Brimstone butterfly.
Supplied Size: 3 or 4L pots (40 - 60 cm tall)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
One of the few plants in our garden on which we are delighted to find caterpillars since it is the most important host plant to the Brimstone butterfly. A very hardy, large shrub with dark green leaves and small red fruit, the wood makes the finest charcoal for the manufacture of gunpowder!
Excellent garden shrub for attracting wildlife and can be planted as a hedge if required.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Will tolerate damp (but not waterlogged) conditions.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Rhamnus frangula grows to be a large branching shrub.
- Height: 4 m (13 ft).
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Special: Windy & Exposed, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Honey Fungus Resistant, Screening/Hedge, Good for Wildlife (Insects including bees & butterflies), Fruit - Ornamental, Good for Wildlife (Birds)
You might also like