A very rare plant, Illicium simonsii grows to be an evergreen medium sized shrub with beautiful pale yellow flowers in mid-late summer.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
A very rare plant, Illicium simonsii grows to be an evergreen medium sized shrub with beautiful pale yellow flowers in mid-late summer. The leaves are dark green and leathery.
We have successfully grown an Illicium simonsii in our woodland gardens in Derbyshire for many years. It requires a sheltered, warm spot if possible and a reasonably well drained, acidic soil.
As Illicium simonsii is a rare, valuable and sometimes fickle plant it is recommended only for experienced gardeners.
- Position: Warm in light, dappled or partial shade.
- Soil: Well-drained, acidic soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. While we have a Illicium simonsii growing in our gardens which has survived some cold winters, we strongly advise that this valuable plant is protected in cold weather and sheltered from strong winter winds.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Illicium simonsii eventually grows to be a medium sized branching shrub.
- Height: up to 2.5 m (8 ft) in many years.
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft)
- Notes: Please note that although we usually guarantee plants for a year after purchase, Illicium simonsii is a fickle plant and are only guaranteed for 21 days after delivery. We will not replace an Illicium simonsii which is damaged or killed by winter cold, water logging or drying out.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), To grow in a pot
You might also like