Ilex aquifolium 'J C van Tol'
(English Holly) A smooth leaved form of our common holly, Ilex aquifolium 'J C van Tol' has lustrous green leaves and masses of bright red berries in late autumn and winter.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
A smooth leaved form of our common holly, Ilex aquifolium 'J C van Tol' has lustrous green leaves and masses of bright red berries in late autumn and winter. The holly of choice for gardeners who would like to see large numbers of berries but dislike the variegated leaves found on other cultivars listed here.
As well as making an attractive specimen shrub in its own right, Ilex aquifolium 'J C van Tol' also can be used to create a colourful and unusual hedge.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Large, densely branching shrub.
- Height: 4 m (13 ft).
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft).
- Notes: Ilex aquifolium 'J C van Tol' is self-fertile, although it will produce more fruit with a male holly planted nearby.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Acid, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Fruit - Ornamental, Screening/Hedge, Good for Wildlife (Birds)
You might also like