Styrax japonica 'Purple Dress'
(Purple-leaved Snowbell Tree ) A rare plant, Styrax japonica 'Purple Dress' has plum purple, oval leaves and masses of bell-shaped, pale pink to white flowers covering the branches in mid summer.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A rare plant, Styrax japonica 'Purple Dress' has plum purple, oval leaves and masses of bell-shaped, pale pink to white flowers covering the branches in mid summer. The exciting purple foliage (best in a spot with decent amounts of sunlight) makes this cultivar a particularly sought after garden plant!
The photos above show a young, three to four year old plant in our gardens in full flower.
- Position: Sheltered in full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile, lime free soil. Will tolerate damp but well drained soil. Not suitable for wet or waterlogged areas.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Styrax japonica 'Purple Dress' requires shelter from cold winter winds.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: Pale pink
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Eventually a small branching tree with an open crown.
- Height: up to 8 m (26 ft) in many years.
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft)
- Notes: Styrax japonica 'Purple Dress' generally flowers as a young plant.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- To grow in a pot, Fruit - Ornamental, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, Honey Fungus Resistant, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Rare and Unusual