Gunnera manicata is one of the most spectacular herbaceous plants with huge rhubarb-like, prickly leaves that can be 150-180 cm across.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
One of the most spectacular herbaceous plants, Gunnera manicata is native to Brazil and has huge rhubarb-like, prickly leaves that can be up to 150-180cm across. Ideal for wet or moist sites, this makes a superb feature plant which looks especially good when planted next to ponds or streams.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Moist or boggy soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy. The crown of Gunnera manicata requires protection from frost in winter.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Large architectural perennial.
- Height: Eventually up to 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Spread: Eventually up to 3 m (10 ft)
- Notes: Protect the crown in winter by piling the dead leaves into a mound over the plants centre in the autumn and removing them in spring when there is less risk of frost
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Herbaceous - Large (Tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Fruit - Ornamental, Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large