Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal'
(Switch Grass) Native to North America, this perennial, deciduous grass creates a stunning architectural display from early summer through until winter when its dried stems and flowers stand pale gold against grey skies.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
Native to North America, this perennial, deciduous grass creates a stunning architectural display from early summer through until winter when its dried stems and flowers stand pale gold against grey skies.
'Heavy Metal' is a particularly upright form and at 1 m in height slightly shorter than most, with narrow green leaves liberally tinged with dark steely grey.
The seedheads appear in late summer as a diffuse cloud of reddish purple spikelets. Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal' is a very attractive grass suitable for mixed borders.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: August.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal' grows to be a small to medium sized, clump forming grass.
- Height: 100 cm (3 ft)
- Spread: 60 cm (2 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Grass - Medium (3 - 6 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Special: Windy & Exposed, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Leaf Colour - Blue/Silver, To grow in a pot
You might also like