Cornus alternifolia 'Golden Shadow'
(Golden-variegated Wedding Cake Tree) New to us, Cornus alternifolia 'Golden Shadow' is a slow growing selection of American Wedding Cake tree with pretty golden-green variegated leaves.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
New to us, Cornus alternifolia 'Golden Shadow' is a slow growing selection of American Wedding Cake tree with pretty golden-green variegated leaves. Once established it develops an eye-catching, tiered habit.
Best in a position sheltered from strong winds with dappled sunlight to avoid potential leaf scorch in a hot summer.
- Position: Sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Cornus alternifolia 'Golden Shadow' grows to be a large shrub with a handsome tiered shape once established.
- Height: 2 - 3 m (6 - 10 ft)
- Spread: 2.5 m. (8 ft)
- Pruning: After planting, look for a strongly growing stem developing after about two to four years, perhaps growing at an odd angle but obviously much more vigorous than the normal shoots. Train this stem vertically (usually up a thin bamboo cane or similar) to form the trunk and basis of the tiered structure.
- Some plants occasionally produce two or even three of these vigorous "leaders", in this case remove all but the most central one. Once established we find a new tier of branches develop every four years or so.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Leaf Colour - Variegated
You might also like