(Maidenhair Tree) Introduced from Japan to Europe in 1730, the Ginkgo is one of the most distinct deciduous trees, with large fan-shaped leaves bright green in summer turning golden yellow before falling in autumn.
Supplied Size: 3L pots (approx 3 - 4 years old, 30 - 50 cm tall)
(Surcharges apply for Highlands & Islands. Click for delivery info)
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
Introduced from Japan to Europe in 1730, the Ginkgo is one of the most distinct deciduous trees, with large fan-shaped leaves bright green in summer turning golden yellow before falling in autumn.. Today it is thought to exist in the wild in China but nearly all trees are actually in cultivation.
In China groves of female Ginkgos with occasional male pollinators have been planted, partly for the production of leaves used in Chinese and western medicine, but also for crops of nuts which are enclosed in rancid malodorous fruits.
Roasted Ginkgo nuts are popularly eaten as an accompaniment to chicken and also served at Chinese weddings to bring good fortune. Ginkgo are considered auspicious throughout China (when planted in pairs, as advised by a Chinese friend) where they are associated with long life; many Buddhist Temples have Ginkgo growing round them in various forms, often cultivated in pots.
These Ginkgo biloba have been grown from seed and will develop into handsome trees with distinctive green leaves turning lovely shades of golden yellow and bronze before falling in autumn.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Eventually Ginkgo biloba will grow to be a medium sized or large, branching tree.
- Height: 15 m (50 ft).
- Spread: 10 m (32 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Large (over 50 ft tall), Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Special: Windy & Exposed, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Honey Fungus Resistant
You might also like