(Big Leaved Pepper Vine) An eye-catching climber native to China, Ampelopsis megalophylla has huge green leaves (up to 50-60 cm long) when mature which turn bright red, pink and orange in autumn before falling.
Supplied Size: 3L deep containers (approx 3 - 4 years old, 40 - 60 cm tall)
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
An eye-catching climber native to China, Ampelopsis megalophylla has huge green leaves (up to 50-60 cm long) when mature which turn bright red, pink and orange in autumn before falling. The profusion of small, green flowers in summer are followed by rose pink berries that ripen to black contrasting well with the pretty autumn colour.
Although Ampelopsis megalophylla has a somewhat delicate appearance it is hardy and fairly vigorous, looking great when grown over large pergolas and arbours. A specimen growing up an old tree in our arboretum also looks spectacular each autumn.
- Position:Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Moist, (but not waterlogged) fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Ampelopsis megalophylla grows best in a warm position sheltered from cold winter winds.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous
- Habit: Ampelopsis megalophylla eventually grows to be a medium sized climbing plant.
- Height: up to 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft)
- Spread: 4 m (12 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Climber - Medium (10 - 20 ft)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Fruit - Ornamental
You might also like