(Hickory) Handsome large fruiting tree native to the US, Carya illinoinensis has green summer leaves which turn shades of yellow before falling.
This plant is available for collection from our nursery only. Mail order delivery options will not appear for this plant if added to your cart and it can be ordered for collection only!
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 10 - 15 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A handsome large fruiting tree native to the US, Carya illinoinensis has bright green summer leaves which turn attractive shades of yellow before falling in autumn. Established specimens can produce large quantities of edible nuts, however they usually require lots of summer heat to fruit well and if fruit are desired are more suited for planting in Southern parts of the UK.
IMPORTANT (PLEASE READ) - As a general rule, Carya grow poorly in containers and should be planted out when young before they develop a large tap root. Therefore the few plants we have available are very small at a seedling size and absolutely not for instant gratification!
Only recommended for patient gardeners happy to plant out a young specimen and watch it develop over the years. Although small and slow growing initially, Carya illinoinensis eventually grows to be a large tree best suited for large gardens or parkland.
Please do not buy this plant if you require an instant tree!!
- Position: Hot in full sun. Carya illinoinensis requires a hot position to produce nuts.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil. Dislikes water logging.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Carya illinoinensis will establish itself better in a warm garden.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Rate of Growth: Slow initially then moderate.
- Habit: Carya illinoinensis grows to be a medium sized or eventually large, stately tree.
- Height: 20 m (65 ft)
- Spread: 10 - 15 m (32 - 50)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Large (over 50 ft tall), Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Honey Fungus Resistant, Fruit - Ornamental, Autumn Colour, Fruit - Edible
You might also like