Calycanthus floridus 'Purpureus'
(Purple Leaved Carolina Allspice) A beautiful selection of Calycanthus which has young growth and leaves that are a lovely plum purple.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
(Purple Leaved Carolina Allspice) A beautiful selection of Calycanthus which has young growth and leaves that are a lovely plum purple. This purple colour lasts for some time before the older leaves fade back to dark green. Like the species Calycanthus floridus, the leaves are fragrant when bruised and in a good, crisp autumn these leaves can turn yellow before falling.
In May, it has masses of wonderful, maroon coloured, flowers which smell similar to ripe apples and are very eye-catching against the dark green foliage.
Supplied Size: 2L / 3L pots (approx three years old, 30 - 40 cm tall) - very limited number available this year
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. May require protection from severe late spring frosts as a young plant, as these can damage the new growth and young leaves.
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Calycanthus floridus 'Purpureus' grows to be a large shrub with a rounded habit.
- Height: 2 - 3 m (6 - 10 ft)
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Pruning: Prune immediately after flowering to shape or maintain compactness if required.
- Notes: This plant is resistant to honey fungus. This plant is also called Calycanthus fertilis 'Purpureus'.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (3m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Flowers in Summer, Wildlife Friendly - Bees, Honey Fungus Resistant, Foliage - Purple/Red, Suitable for Containers, Scented