Calycanthus floridus 'Purpureus'
(Purple Leaved Carolina Allspice) A beautiful selection of Calycanthus which has young growth and leaves that are a lovely plum purple.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
(Purple Leaved Carolina Allspice) A beautiful selection of Calycanthus which has young growth and leaves that are a lovely plum purple. This purple colour lasts for some time before the older leaves fade back to dark green. Like the species Calycanthus floridus, the leaves are fragrant when bruised and in a good, crisp autumn these leaves can turn yellow before falling.
In May, it has masses of wonderful, maroon coloured, flowers which smell similar to ripe apples and are very eye-catching against the dark green foliage.
Supplied Size: 2L / 3L pots (approx three years old, 30 - 40 cm tall) - very limited number available this year
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. May require protection from severe late spring frosts as a young plant, as these can damage the new growth and young leaves.
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Calycanthus floridus 'Purpureus' grows to be a large shrub with a rounded habit.
- Height: 2 - 3 m (6 - 10 ft)
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Pruning: Prune immediately after flowering to shape or maintain compactness if required.
- Notes: This plant is resistant to honey fungus. This plant is also called Calycanthus fertilis 'Purpureus'.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Good for Wildlife (Insects including bees & butterflies), Honey Fungus Resistant, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, To grow in a pot, Scented
You might also like